Herein find essays, musings, Haiku, and other traditional poetry.

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Education and the New Orleans Diaspora

I have attended school in more districts and private schools combined than I can keep up with; I was formally homeschooled for a time, too. One thing I learned is that not all school districts are alike. I had to take placement testing wherever I went. The schools varied by up to two grades. Of course, from a given school district's perspective, not all students are alike. They have to give placement tests to find out if you are behind, ahead, or where you are "supposed" to be.

I anticipate there will be problems caused by sending New Orleans students all over the country. I hope that school requirements will help drive a diaspora instead of a massive "Refugee" Camp. That will give the children of New Orleans a more stable and wholesome environment, and a better education. You could consider the diaspora to be the "Mother of All Busing Programs." There will be trouble, though.

According to a CNN article, http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/package.jsp?name=fte/smartstates/smartstates, Louisiana ranks 46th in the nation. I don't know how that breaks down within the state. At the Astrodome, they are evolving a sad but convenient coping mechanism. Lots of unemployed New Orleans teachers, lots of displaced New Orleans school kids, let's match them up. It would be better to break them up. Let the N.O. teachers catch-up with their peers while the kids do the same.

People know about educational statistics. The only non-educators who care about the numbers have their children doing well, either in public or private school. Those on the bottom don't know what that means. They are going to find out what it means. There will be anger that their children are called stupid. When that is handled, and they are assured their children are not stupid, then they will be angry that their children have not been taught properly.

Adding to the anguish of enlightenment for the parents, there will be rapid cultural stereotyping. Fortunately, I have yet to see a New Orleans joke, but I assure you they are coming. Who wants to be at the bottom of the barrel and the butt of jokes? This is one point where I actually agree with the political correctness Nazi's. If they can stop prejudice and stereotyping of the displaced from New Orleans BEFORE it starts, it would be a Godsend.
Comments:
I didn't realize that LA rated so LOW in education!
Maybe something GOOD can happen as a result of this disaster?
 
Merry Christmas my friend!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?