Herein find essays, musings, Haiku, and other traditional poetry.

Friday, September 02, 2005

A Deleted Post

I wrote an extremely politically incorrect post. My husband's opinion is that it was thoughtful, and correct. Nonetheless, it is actually beyond political correctness and into the realm of the socially taboo.

My husband rightly worried about the reputation of my Blog. More importantly, he worried about my own reputation. The subject matter evokes passionate divisiveness about racial issues. I am not a racist, did not make racist remarks, and condemned racism in my post.

There are too many people of good will who might not be able to read past the shock-value to understand the message. While not racist, my post did include another thing which people might have a hard time swallowing. I believe there are circumstances in the lawless chaos left by Katrina in which lethal force should be used to restore order.

I am not ordinarily a proponent of two wrongs making a right. Also, I despise police brutality. Nonetheless, I think more lives would be saved than lost some criminals not guilty of capital offenses were killed as an example. I think any targets like that should be given clear and ample opportunity to stop their criminal activity before being shot.

As you can see, even this nicer post is pretty ugly. The situation in New Orleans is pretty ugly. The lawless have wounded and killed police officers, emergency medical personnel, and each other. Additionally, they have fired on rescue helicopters flying in to aid them. In my other post, before these more recent news developments, I said that looting should not be a capital offense. I also said, however, that the anything goes, all bets are off, there are no rules, was a mentality that was deadly dangerous. Sadly, I have been proven right.

I was going to include the original post as a comment here, hoping it would not be misconstrued. After reviewing this post, my husband still thinks I should not include the original text at all. I agree there could be unnecessary problems, but I also believe in my first amendment right to be obnoxious and detestable. The original text will be available by email request only.
Comments:
Apparantly LA has a law against Martial Law. IDIOTS!
I always thought that when troops were called into disaster areas Martial Law was automatically declared.
Not in LA!
 
LA seems to be a dysfunctional state. This is a horrifying contrast to the response of citizens and officials in New York on 9/11. Granted, these disasters are not comparable. They are different in nature, scope and cause. Still, there are other communities over time which have been hit hard. In those communities, there was not widespread looting, nor a breakout of violent crime.

I am ashamed to say I don't remember the name of the remarkable small city which endured exactly this. It was flooded well beyond it's flood protections. Then, as the waters receeded, but were still there, the place caught on fire, and there was no way of putting out the fire. I didn't hear of shooting helping officials, or each other. Nor did I hear of rape. I heard of people on the outskirts of town bringing the displaced into their own homes.

I hope nothing like this ever happens in Los Angeles. I would expect some trouble. Honestly, though, I would be surprised if Los Angelas citizens acted like this.

We have had an opportunity to observe, in fact. L.A. has had numerous wide-spread riots. There was some looting, but not like what we are seeing now. There was a LOT of vandalism. But I did not hear of extensive gunfire nor of rape occuring during the riots. They would probably be calmer in an emergency than while angry and rioting. So they might do even better.

Not meaning it, I told my husband they should wrap things up, not shoot the looters since that seems an unpopular thing, and then with draw. Leave the thugs in waist-deep water and let them fight for swamp turf. The problem is you can't do anything that broad without getting innocent people.

I had a thought, not useful now, but maybe at some other time. The dye packets banks use on robbers are permanent ink. The robber can't wash it off. If you can't take looter to an underwater jail, maybe let the police shoot paintball guns with permanent dye. Later, they can sort the marked ones from the innocent.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?