Herein find essays, musings, Haiku, and other traditional poetry.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Cowardice, Peace and Freedom?

I found the following in someone's profile on a Blog: Born in Tokyo. I am basically a coward, which causes me to think about peace and freedom. Here is my reply:

I was really into Gandhi when I was 12, and he's still one of my heroes. Pursuing "peace and freedom" takes courage, not cowardice. I suspect you are not actually a coward, but if you are I suggest you live under a fairly firm dictatorship.

Dictatorships tend to have less street crime, because the punishments are so severe. While you hear horror stories of things that happen to people, the fact is most people are never harassed by the government. The problem, though, is that everyone is afraid. No one knows for sure they won't be next. So, everyone cowers. This is where a coward belongs.

It took guts for Gandhi's followers to line-up and approach a British checkpoint and, without even blocking, get beaten with police batons. Peace is not an easy path, though it is worth it. Gandhi's followers were far more courageous than soldiers armed with guns.

Freedom isn't free. Throughout history, freedom has been available only to the most determined fighters. This includes the backing of civilians, as well as the battlefield victories of the soldiers.

Once freedom is won, the people are confronted with real responsibility. They must have the courage to speak-up for what they believe is right. Often, this takes more courage than keeping your mouth shut in a dictatorship. Freedom is not for cowards.
Comments:
Very eloquent!
 
I love that!
It's so true that under a dictatorship, you wouldn't have to worry much about street crime. But would you want to give up all your freedoms for order? I sure wouldn't. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in this country who would. I think coward is the right name for them.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?