Herein find essays, musings, Haiku, and other traditional poetry.

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Civilians and the War on Terror

I read an upsetting article on AOL. The military, at all levels, are becoming demoralized because they are the only ones making sacrifices in the War on Terror. They feel like all they get is lip service from home. Politicians think we won't back the War on Terror if we are asked to do anything more than show up a couple of hours early to get through airport security.

The troops are right. What's frustrating, though, is that they do enjoy a solid sentiment of support from the citizenry. The politicians are letting us all down. I am not the only one who wants to contribute, but doesn't know how. We need the government to ask us for specific sacrifices. We need to be organized, so we can harness our shared desire to prosecute the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Below is a note I left on Americasupportsyou.mil:

I read a disturbing article. It says that you are becoming discouraged, feeling that you are alone in carrying the burden of the War on Terror. To my frustration, I agree with you.

I have three magnets on my car -- two American flags, and one yellow ribbon that says, "Support Our Troops." That's a magnet or two more than I see on most cars. Everyone wants to support you, but we don't know how.

I'm sure you would rather have me do something that actually helps you and your family. I want that, too. I think the politicians do not give the public enough credit for being willing to make sacrifices. We need the government to help focus our desire to help in ways that are meaningful.

This official Website bothers me. I came here to help, if at all possible. I read about celebrity events, speeches, individual family members sending packages, etc. I finally found a place that lists what you most need and want to have sent from home. I would gladly buy things and send care packages for you. They didn't tell us how to address the packages.

I want direction, so I can do more than run around in a patriotic-looking car. Perhaps some of the officers could suggest members of Congress to contact. I hope this Website will become more than a correspondence site. I want it to help us all do our part in the War on Terror.

Just because you aren't seeing a show of support doesn't mean the people aren't behind you. We are willing to give what we can. So far, all we can offer are words. Maybe the USO could sell car magnets. It bothers me that the proceeds from the sale of all these magnets don't even go to you.

God bless you each and all! Come home safely!
Comments:
I, too, would LOVE to do something that really MATTERS for our troops.
Maybe we could submit pictures of patriotic events in our area to the website you mentioned. Our town has a bulletin board in our mall with the names and addresses of our local soldiers so you can send them care packages. The only problem is I would like to send things to someone who doesn't get anything from home. How do we know this?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?