Herein find essays, musings, Haiku, and other traditional poetry.

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Poem: A Practice Piece

I spent a lot of time writing today. There's nothing left in me to make a post. I offer you a taste of what happens when I simply work on the mechanics of composing poetry with meter and rhyme. I hope to use my skills on something better. I still offer no warranty on punctuation. This topic is pathetic; inspired by my surroundings as I wrote:

I desire a quiet location
The absence of jazz in the air
I would flee this composer's creation
The Starbucks recordings just blare

Well perhaps they in fairness decided
To play something noxious to all
So with all of their patrons united
We weather the musical squall

Now whenever I find I'm in Starbucks
I ready my paper and pen
And awaiting a cognitive influx
I'm stymied by noises again

All the noisy distractions are rattling
The nerves of a writer-to-be
The espresso and music are battling
To most be distracting to me

As I work on my poetry writing
Dismayed there's no object to seize
I am stuck with no topics inviting
A poem to capture some peace

For those of you who are interested, I use a slight variant on anapestic trimeter. I divide the fourth foot between the first and second lines of each sub-couplet. Robert Service frequently did this, and I really like the effect. Each stanza (set of four lines in this case) has the following meter and rhyme scheme:

^^/^^/^^/^ A
^/^^/^^/ B
^^/^^/^^/^ A
^/^^/^^/ B
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?