Herein find essays, musings, Haiku, and other traditional poetry.

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Braille for Eye Tics Preventing Reading

TSHSMom says her son Z is going through a tough time right now. Among other things, he has eye-rolling tics. This, of course, interferes tremendously with reading. I can sympathize with that. I have had some blinking at times, but for the most part, tics never interfered with my reading. Nonetheless, I did have a problem when I was a kid -- I had to quit too soon when reading myself to sleep.

Here's what I wrote to TSHSMom:

When I was a kid, my eyes would get sleepy before my brain did. I wanted to keep reading, but I couldn't keep my eyes open. Mom said she had the same problem. I came up with a good solution, but we never implemented it. I wanted to learn Braille. That way, I could turn out the light and keep reading.

Now, I am considering learning Braille because there is a significant chance, based on family history, that I will go blind from macular degeneration. The Library of Congress has special programs for Braille readers.

While Z is going through this phase, maybe he could add Braille-reading to his growing resume of skills.
Comments:
Thanks for your suggestions!
I learned braille when I was in the 5th grade and fascinated by Helen Keller. I think this is an excellent idea for everyone to try!

We can't afford to buy braille texts for Z's learning, especially when we get so many of our materials off the internet. Right now, what seems to work is discussion. The only problem is that, this method is so slow!

I guess I have to let go of my unreasonable expectations for Z's learning progress. I HAVE to learn to let go and let him learn at his own pace.

Thanks again for your help!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?