Herein find essays, musings, Haiku, and other traditional poetry.

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Where Have All the Photos Gone?

Well, okay, I didn't think much of the photo released of Saddam Hussein. Supposedly more were to be released today, although I had seen the contents already. Presumably others have as well.

I can't find any non-advertisement news photographs online today. I have checked major news providers, national papers: here and in Britain, regional newspapers, local newspapers, and even a tiny rural newspaper. The latter no longer has a website. There are no news photos on AOL. On AOL, a news segment failed to load, although there were news segments available at CNN.com. Even sports and entertainment stories have no photos. Those categories are very photo-dependent.

My father says he heard a news story a number of days back saying that there would be new copyright policies among the larger news services. You would have to pay to download some things. Perhaps that is all there is to it.

Why is this radical change in online news coverage NOT a major story? I have found no mention during CNN's Headline News. I have not otherwise watched television today. Still, I would think that America Online would offer an explanation to its members. There are still blue boxes set in the text, where photos would normally be. The blue boxes even contain the photo captions, but no pictures. Similarly, neither my regional nor my local paper offered explanations. My local paper did offer to let you order novelties with a photo imprinted on them, but you could not view apicture to see if you wanted a ballcap from it or not.

Does anyone know why we are in the darkroom?
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?