Herein find essays, musings, Haiku, and other traditional poetry.

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Trinity International University

As some of you may know, there is a crisis confronting Trinity International University. Theirs is a very small Christian School in the Midwest. Some of their minority students have received written death threats which law enforcement officials and school administrators believe must be taken seriously. One of their students speculated about a pattern among the death threats: each recipient was in an interracial dating relationship. Law enforcement officials are not sure that is the issue. The letters contain no reference to interracial relationships.

In response to these death threats, the school has sent all dorm residents from the local area to live with their parents. The minority students have been moved to a hotel, where it will be easier to ensure their security. The Dean of Students is also at the hotel.

I wanted to express my sympathy and support for the TIU community. I went to their Website, but found it had not been updated in light of their gaining national news attention. Their news section contained campus happenings. I was frustrated that they had no guest book, nor other way for me to communicate with them online. I did find a survey form inquiring about how well the Web Design served your needs.

I used the spaces, "Things I dislike about the Website," and, "Other comments." Below are my remarks, followed by a courteous response I received from them. I do hope things turn out well for them.

There is nowhere else to express my sympathy and support for your school during these troubling times. I am a graduate of Thomas More College in Crestview Hills, Kentucky. I know what a small Christian campus is like.

I am not sure from the news if everyone was given the option of staying at a hotel, or if the offer was limited to minority students. I know the hotel arrangements must be a strain on your small budget. I hope, though, that you maintain the unity of your student body by giving them options to stay together among their friends.

Also, you don't want your minority students to think this is about them. It is
not. It is about a perverse, and potentially dangerous mind.

I think it is very good that the Dean of Students is staying at the hotel. That shows you are taking seriously your positions as shepherds over these young people. It also sends a clear message of administrative support for the student in the hotel. You are with them in their hour of need.


Below is their reply:

Thank you for your creative way of getting in touch. Because of
you, we have created a form that people may fill out and submit online. If you go to our homepage at
www.tiu.edu and click on the "Update" link at the bottom, you will find a link for the form
at the bottom of the Update page. The address of the form is
http://www.tiu.edu/trinity/announcements/updates_form.htm.

Thank you for your concern, interest, and persistence.

Joseph O'Day

Communications Editor

Trinity International Univ.

847.317.8103

"What does the LORD require of you? To act justly
and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." (Micah
6:8)

Comments:
The university does not appear to be keeping up with modern technology. It will probably be good for them and their students to focus on this more.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?