Herein find essays, musings, Haiku, and other traditional poetry.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Reply to Accusation of Being Anti-Semitic

Here's a new one for me. I have been called many things in my life, most of them derogatory. I have never before been labeled "Anti-Semitic." Below is a response to that accusation. I think I was a "victim" of a knee-jerk reaction. While I did refer to some stereotypical beliefs I hold, I cast them in what I thought was a positive light.

I commented on a post on Am Chazak Oseh Shalom's Blog regarding an Anti-Semitic letter written by a tribal chief in Canada. While a cursory glance might look like standard Anti-Semitic rhetoric, a closer read will reveal good will, and perhaps some mistaken ideas. Here is the offending comment:
Sagepaper said...
Okay, I forced myself to finish the letter. I too, am under the impression that Jews have risen to power in key institutions in society. I have what is perhaps a reverse racism. I attribute this success to their cultural emphasis on education, and to an historic legacy of business know-how. This know-how dates at least to the time European Christians "forced" Jews into Banking. Christians were forbidden to loan at interest, and you cannot run a bank like that. However, banks were certainly needed economically. So the Jews stepped in and *everyone* prospered. I take a "market" view of the news. In the US, we have some Jewish leadership in the media, but they are accountable to their stockholders, as with any other type of publicly-traded corporation. If there is a consistent bias in a free market, with a free press, one must look at the readers and watchers who ultimately "buy" the media.
2:14 AM
I reiterate: I do not know that these stereotypes are factually true. If they are, however, I think Jews do themselves a disservice by trying to deny their successes. They should be proud of themselves, and we should learn from them. To the extent that the stereotypes are true, Jews discredit themselves by denying them and vigorously pouncing on anyone who speaks of them.

I understand that deeply painful lessons were learned from the Holocaust. Genocide was perpetrated against them because of Anti-Semitic propaganda portraying them as the stingy owners of great wealth, and as behind-the-scenes manipulators of society. Fearful of such Anti-Semitic propaganda, I believe they go too far in trying to deny any leadership positions attained by Jews.

The accusation can be found by following the link to Am Chazak Oseh Shalom. The title of the post is Spurred by recent comments. Just follow the link in my right column.

==========

Sagepaper said...
Wow! I stepped on your toes! Please keep them out from under my feet :-) I must be the exception. My beliefs about Jewish success are actually admiring, rather than hateful.

I have no sympathy for Black racism toward Asians in this country. If Asians build businesses and develop their communities, I think that should serve as an example to Blacks, and, in fact, it does. Black leaders here have called for conserving wealth in their communities by buying from Black merchants and service providers.

I agree that "Holocaust" refers only to the "Final Solution." I knew the origin of the term. I thought it odd that the aborigines used the term. Again, I have learned from you -- I did not know that "Genocide" was a Post-World War II term.

I'm not sure I would say I care about Jewish success; at least, I don't have a sense that it affects me personally in any way. I did not say that I think Jews own and control the media. Ownership is in the hands of public shareholders. Control is in the hands of the consumers.

I don't think Jews get together and make coordinated, organized efforts at manipulating society. In fact, if it were true that "Jews own the media," that would necessarily make them rivals in a free market economy.

Finally, I wonder at the overall stereotype of Jews being wealthy. If they are so rich, why are they so poor? Historically, Jews in Europe were a bit outcast, and lagged behind economically.

Again, I think there are cultural, as opposed to racial, reasons for Jewish successes. The emphasis on education is a crucial factor. Many Christians of yesteryear, and some today, actually frown on education. They believe you should rely solely on the promptings of the Holy Spirit, and that "book-learning" makes you too proud to listen to the soft voice within.

I have a recent posting on my blog about racism. You might find some of it reassuring, as I explore the matter with a little greater depth.
12:04 PM
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?